POLS 4790H POLITICS OF THE FINANCIAL CRISIS
Spring Semester AY2013-2014
Department of Political Science
University of Georgia
Athens, GA, 30602-1615
Classroom: Baldwin 305
Time: 1:25 - 2:15PM Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Instructor: Keith T. Poole
Room 304D Baldwin Hall
WebSite: Voteview Home Page
Office Hours: Thursday 3:00 - 5:00PM
The following texts will be
used in this course:
- Lewis, Michael. (2010). The Big Short
- Morgenson, Gretchen and Joshua Rosner. (2011). Reckless Endangerment
- Connaughton, Jeff (2012). The Payoff: Why Wall Street Always Wins
- McCarty, Nolan, Keith T. Poole, and Howard Rosenthal (2013). Political Bubbles: Financial
Crises and the Failure of American Democracy
Grades will be determined by three examinations -- two mid-Semester exams
and a final exam. The exams will consist of essay and short answer questions. The Midterms
will be worth 1/4 of your grade and the final is worth 1/2 of your grade.
The first exam is scheduled for Friday, 14 February 2014, 1:25 - 2:15PM.
The second exam is scheduled for Friday, 28 March 2014, 1:25 - 2:15PM.
The Final Exam is scheduled for 5 May 2014, 12:00 - 3:00PM.
Banking, Bankruptcy, and Financial Panics in Early American History: 1789-1860
- Hammond, Bray. 1947. "Jackson, Biddle, and the Bank
of the United States." Journal of Economic History, 6(2);1-23.
- Rockoff, Hugh. 1975. "Varieties of Banking and Regional
Economic Development in the United States, 1840-1860." Journal of Economic History,
- Sylla, Richard, John B. Legler, and John J. Wallis. 1987.
"Banks and State Public Finance in the New Republic: The United States, 1790-1860." Journal
of Economic History, 47(2):391-403.
- Rousseau, Peter, and Richard Sylla.
2005. "Emerging Financial Markets and Early U.S. Growth." Explorations in Economic
Agenda for Topic 1
Study Questions for First Exam (All Questions
are short Answer!)
- Banking, Bankruptcy, and Financial Panics in Early American History: 1861-1913
- Davis, Lance E. 1965. "The Investment
Market, 1870-1914: The Evolutions of a National Market." Journal of Economic History,
- Sylla, Richard. 1969. "Federal Policy, Banking Market
Structure, and Capital Mobilization in the United States, 1863-1913." Journal of Economic
- Williamson, Jeffrey G. 1974. "Watersheds
and Turning Points: Conjectures on the Long-Term Impact of Civil War Financing." Journal of
Economic History, 34(3):636-661.
- Hansen, Bradley. 1998. "Commercial Associations and the
Creation of a National Economy: The Demand for a Federal Bankruptcy Act." Business
History Review, 72(Spring):86-113.
- Berglöf, Erik and Howard Rosenthal. 1999. "The Political Economy of American Bankruptcy:
The Evidence from Roll Call Voting, 1800-1978." Working paper, Princeton University.
- Hughes, Jonathan. 1986. The Vital Few,
chapter 9, "J. Pierpont Morgan, the Investment Banker as Statesman." New York: Oxford
Agenda for Topic 2
Study Questions for Second Exam (All Questions
are short Answer!)
- The Financial Panic of 1929-1933 and the Great Depression
- Introduction and Chapters 1, 2, 3 and 4, Political Bubbles
- Selected Portions, The Banking Crisis of 1933, Susan Estabrook Kennedy,
University Press of Kentucky, 1973.
Agenda for Topic 3
- The Buildup to the Banking Crisis of 2008: Subprime Mortgages, Securitization, and Fannie and
- The Crisis of 2008
- Chapter 10 and Epilogue, The Big Short
- Chapters 5, 6, and 7, Political Bubbles
Agenda for Topic 5
- The Political and Economic Response to the Financial Crisis of 2008
- The Payoff: Why Wall Street Always Wins
- Chapters 8, 9, and Epilogue, Political Bubbles
Agenda for Topic 6
Study Questions for Final Exam (All Questions
are short Answer!)
Public Debt Statements
NOMINATE Data, Roll Call Data, and Software
Course Web Pages: University of Georgia (2010 - )
Course Web Pages: UC San Diego (2004 - 2010)
University of San Diego Law School (2005)
Course Web Pages: University of Houston (2000 - 2005)
Course Web Pages: Carnegie-Mellon University (1997 - 2000)
Analyzing Spatial Models of Choice and Judgment with R
Spatial Models of Parliamentary Voting
Recent Working Papers
Analyses of Recent Politics
About This Website
K7MOA Log Books: 1960 - 2017
Bio of Keith T. Poole